* Jim Thome smacked his 549th career homer yesterday, moving past Mike Schmidt for 13th place on the all-time list.
Alex Rodriguez is one spot ahead of him with 560 homers, but Thome should be able to pass Reggie Jackson (563) by season's end. Among left-handed hitters, only Jackson, Rafael Palmeiro, Ken Griffey Jr., Babe Ruth, and Barry Bonds have more homers.
* Brad Penny beat the Twins yesterday despite "vomiting between innings." Or as manager Terry Francona put it: "He would come out, throw up, laugh, go get them."
* If you've ever wondered what Mr. T would look like throwing out the first pitch at Wrigley Field while wearing matching American flag bandanna and shorts, today is your lucky day. He's a southpaw!
* Not that the Red Sox really need any more rotation depth at this point, but Clay Buchholz took a perfect game into the ninth inning yesterday at Triple-A and ended up throwing a one-hitter against the Reds' affiliate.
* Shockingly, Jonathan Papelbon doesn't like it when people take his picture after he blows a save.