An unexpected day off for Longoria
- Clayton Kershaw took a no-hitter into the eighth inning against the Marlins on Sunday afternoon. The no-hit bid was broken up by a Cody Ross double. The Dodgers would eventually win the game 12-5.
- A bizarre lineup snafu by manager Joe Maddon forced pitcher Andy Sonnanstine to bat third for the Rays on Sunday. He responded, going 1-for-3 with an RBI double. Check out the St. Petersburg Times' run-down of the afternoon. Highly recommended reading.
- Nationals prospect Ross Detwiler will make his first career start on Monday against the Pirates. He will replace the ailing Scott Olsen in the rotation.
- Johnny Damon continued the walk-off weekend for the Yankees, clubbing his 10th home run of the season in the 10th inning to win it. The Yankees have taken the first three games of the series with the Twins, all in walk-off fashion.
- Joey Votto sat out Sunday's finale with the Padres after experiencing dizziness again on Saturday. He'll see a doctor on Monday in Cincinnati.
- And finally, Chris Carpenter is expected to return from the disabled list to make a Wednesday start against the Cubs. He had a 0.00 ERA in 10 innings this season before straining his rib cage muscle.