* NBCSports.com's own Bert Blyleven heard that Rick Porcello was killing worms with his sinker, so the should-be Hall of Famer decided to do him one better and actually eat a few nightcrawlers in the name of charity.
* For all the talk about how much the Twins value speed and defense, they've benched one of the elite defensive center fielders in the game in favor of a guy who can't hit or field.
* After losing to the Mets yesterday, Pirates starter Ian Snell revealed: "They found out our signs and were relaying signs, but that's part of baseball. We could've picked up on that earlier, but we didn't. Whatever. It happened. I battled through the whole game."
* Jose Contreras went unclaimed on waivers, allowing the White Sox to demote him to Triple-A after starting the season 0-5 with an 8.19 ERA while coming back from a torn Achilles' tendon.
* After weeks of fretting on the air about throwing out the first pitch at a Mets game, Howard Stern Show producer Gary "Bababooey" Dell'Abate finally took the mound yesterday at Citi Field and ... well, it wasn't pretty. In terms of horrendous ceremonial first pitches he ranks between Mark Mallory and Mariah Carey, which is truly rarefied air.