|Arm problems are wrecking Chavez's career
* Eric Chavez is again having problems with his elbow and surgically repaired shoulder. His ability to simply makes throws from third base is now in serious question, and given Chavez's terrible .210/.254/.328 line since the beginning of last year and .237/.324/.425 mark dating back to 2006 he's unlikely to have much value at a lesser defensive position. As a dejected Chavez put it: "I'm day-to-day, probably for the whole year."
* My favorite part of Jacoby Ellsbury swiping home last night is that Jorge Posada visited the mound to warn Andy Pettitte about the possibility seconds before the play. My second-favorite part is that Aaron Hill also stole home off Pettite less than two years ago.
* I'm now obsessed with Justin Masterson's habit of updating his Facebook status mere hours after each start. His latest: "What a homestand, I wish I knew what it was like to be as fast as Jacoby!" Indeed.
* Padres fans are probably overreacting a bit to Jake Peavy's slow start, but Mets fans have every reason to be concerned about Oliver Perez and his 9.31 ERA. Dating back to last season Perez has a 7.10 ERA and 52/36 K/BB ratio over his last 10 starts, but he's still slated to face the Phillies this weekend.
* Joel Zumaya's comeback appears to be going well, but his Tigers teammate Dontrelle Willis isn't as fortunate. Willis unraveled during the fifth inning of his minor-league rehab start Sunday at Double-A and his fastball was clocked in the 80s.
* For this week only Rotoworld is offering free access to their Season Pass product, which is a must-have for any serious fantasy baseball player.